If you want, thank the person who introduced you, members of the event, and any special guests or sponsors. Tell us who you are. If you have a slide show, save us from guessing. I want to know the following:
- Your name. Put it on the slides.
- Your Twitter Handle. If you don't have one, get one. Especially if I'm listening to you, that means you are some how related to tech.
- Where can I find your presentation when you are done talking. Hint: Slide share and YouTube
- Encourage people to talk about your presentation. Tell us what common hashtag you want us to use.
- Especially if you stink, I want to know how long your presentation is. You can do this by having your slides representation a time-line.
- Encourage audience participation. It will keep us from falling asleep.
- Know your audience. Talk to them. Do your research. Use antidotes. Give them actionable quotes, things they can do when they leave.
- Everyone loves stories, parables, and simple tips that they can take notes on.
- What are your strong points?
- You're funny
- Can make weird voices
- Use these.
- Save time for questions. Don't just ask does anyone have any questions. Provoke them.
There are LOTS of ways to provoke audience participation. Here are a few:
- Ask a question.
- Offer the first person to ask a question a free prize.
- Again, know your audience. Don't talk down to them. Don't talk down to the dumbest person in the room. Maybe use 5 minutes of the beginning to catch them up if need be, but then teach them something. This will give them TONS of questions.
- Hand out take away materials.
- Use twitter to allow people to ask questions throughout your presentation and then answer them as you go or at the end.
- Make sure then event is scheduled for longer then your speech. That way no one needs to sneak out and you give them extra tine for networking. That way they are not antsy.
- Provide a pen and notebook if at all possible. Everyone wants to take notes, not everyone is smart enough to remember their pen and paper.
- Encourage at least 3 bloggers to come. Give them incentive (a free ticket or guaranteed ticket is often more then enough). Then ask that they write a post before the event to encourage people to come and encourage they write a post afterward.
As always you are more then welcome to use any of my content, repost it, rewrite it, and broadcast it all I ask is that you link back to where you found it (http://interactivemedias.blogspot.com)
I would also love to hear YOUR comments, questions or concerns of my posts and reviews! What do you think, its ok if our opinions don't match up! Leave a comment or let me know what you would like to learn more about and maybe it will become my next blog post or video blog.
Also don't forget to subscribe to my video tutorials (on youtube or itunes) as well as subscribe to my blog posts on here so you can have the latest web tips, tricks and book reviews delivered directly to your inbox!
Thanks for reading!
--Desarae A. Veit